Recreational Level is the Mississippi Soccer Association's entry playing level for boys and girls under 6 through under 19 Coed teams. It is the developmental playing division, which U.S. Youth Soccer Association requires its State Associations to provide. Division III is the least competitive recreational level of soccer in SSA. Emphasis should be placed on skills development and soccer for fun. Mississippi Soccer Association
recommends small sided games graduated up based on age level. Recreational soccer consists of two seasons in the fall (10 games) and spring (6 games.)
The easiest way to register a player for the DIII - Recreational level of the Starkville Soccer Association is through this website when it opens late Spring.
General Registration Information
- Children 4 and up by December 31st of the new Fall season are eligible to play. If your child is younger than this age, you will need to request permission from SSA to allow recreational play.
- If you register and pay for your child to play in the fall, this covers both seasons. You do not have to register in the spring.
- To determine what division your child will play, please use this Mississippi Soccer Association Age Matrix as a guide.
- Age divisions are U6, U8, U10, U12, U14*, and U16* both boys and girls. *The older divisions usually have travel play since there are only one or two teams formed.
- The recreational fall soccer season (10 games) typically begins in September and ends mid-November. The recreational spring soccer season (6 games) typically begins in February and ends March.
- The 2015 -2016 registration fee for recreational play ranges from $65 to $95, which included uniform and soccer ball. The fee covered both Spring and Fall seasons. There are no discounts for playing only Fall or Spring season.
- Parents may request that their child play up to a higher age division. Permission to play up is a SSA Executive Council decision.
- Boys (U8 and up) typically attend practices and games on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Girls (U8 and up) typically attend practices and games on Mondays and Thursdays.
- All teams are selected via a coaches' draft.
- Games and Practices are typically scheduled at 5:30pm or 5:45pm on weeknights. There are some times that games and practices are start at 7:00pm for teams. All events last approximately 1 hour in length.
- Copy of birth certificate is required for all players that did not play for Starkville Soccer Association the previous year.
- After the deadline to register has closed, the Registrar will place interested players on a wait list provided they submit all registration documentation. An additional processing fee will be added if the wait-listed player is added to a team.
Age Level Chart for Small-Sided Games
SSA Recreational Soccer Team Draft Guidelines
Download the 2016-2017 recreational soccer team draft guidelines here